(The following information includes a summary of certain provisions of TripTime® Insurance. You should always review your Certificate for a complete description of all terms and conditions. A sample Certificate can be accessed here.)
You’ve made your airline reservations, you’ve selected your hotel, you’ve put your dog in the kennel (or maybe bought his airfare, too!), and you’ve forwarded the mail. Your international trip is just around the corner. Now it’s time to consider the risks you’ll face during your journey and choose an insurance plan that fits your specific needs. And in almost every case, that’s actually a really simple choice: it’s TripTime.
SERVICE the PCU Way
Point Comfort Underwriters® (PCU) is pleased to provide leading edge services to all TripTime travelers. With over 100 years of combined experience, our dedicated staff, located in the international insurance mecca of Indianapolis, Indiana, is ready to serve you 24/7/365.
We understand the value and convenience of self-service, too, and that’s why we empower all TripTime customers through PCYOU, a personal travel insurance portal where you can handle most routine service needs quickly and easily.
We hope your trip is safe, productive and enjoyable, but hey, we’re an insurance company…we’ve seen bad things happen on even the best trips. PCU’s emergency assistance personnel are some of the best and most experienced in the international insurance industry at coordinating emergency medical services and international treatment. We process claims from all over the world, in any language or currency, and we do it all with friendly, efficient courtesy.
TripTime® is available to individuals who are at least 14 days old, have completed and submitted an application (or be listed by proxy on one), and received an acceptance in writing, have legally departed their Home Country by the Certificate Effective Date , and have not established a permanent residency in their Host Country. There is no upper age limit, however maximum coverage limits are reduced at age 70 and again at age 80.
Application and Purchase
Application and purchase of Triptime® is easy. Select a plan from among our three most popular options – Anytime, Overtime, Primetime – or select Build Your Own Plan, and obtain an instant quote. Then simply click the “Buy Now” button to be taken to the Triptime® Application, where you enter your personal data and travel details. PCU accepts PayPal, MasterCard, Visa or American Express. Once you’ve completed the transaction you’ll be directed to Certificate and Identification Card. You can purchase up to 365 days of coverage.
Effective Date and Termination Date
The Termination Date of coverage for your trip is the earlier of: a) the date you request, b) the date you return to your Home Country , or c) 11:59 pm on the last day of fully paid premium. All travel insurance days must be used consecutively.
If you cancel your Certificate after the Effective Date of coverage and have filed no claims, premiums attributable to the unused days will be refunded, after deduction of an administration fee of $50. If you have filed claims, no refund will be made.
Incidental Trip Home
If you take a trip of 90 days or more covered by TripTime, your Medical Benefits remain in effect during the first 14 days of an Incidental Trip Home back to your Home Country . Additional coinsurance applies to your Home Country claims.
If you are treated for a covered Illness or Injury while abroad, Medical Benefits remain in effect for that condition for up to 180 days, subject to a maximum of $5,000. This limit is waived if PCU evacuates you to your Home Country for a covered Injury or Illness. Additional coinsurance applies to your Home Country claims.
Adventure Sports Coverage Option
Adventure sports travel is the fastest growing segment of international travel. Each year more travelers engage in these activities while abroad. A high percentage of these travelers are not properly insured for the risks they are taking. You can cover your most adventurous activities by adding the TripTime Adventure Sports option to your plan.
Personal Property, Equipment and Pets
You bring a lot of your stuff with you when you go abroad. Some bring more and some less, but it’s still all your stuff and sometimes, when you’re out there traveling the world, stuff happens to your stuff. That’s why TripTime includes an option to purchase coverage for your photography equipment, sports equipment and electronic equipment. The option also includes emergency pet care coverage for your furry travel companion.
PCU knows that buying travel insurance can be confusing, but not with TripTime packaged plans.
We have combined our most popular benefits and limits to give you a choice of three plans – GoTime, PrimeTime and OverTime. A comparison of the three plans can be found below. To obtain a quote, simply provide us with your desired coverage area, travel dates and age. Our system will automatically calculate the total insurance cost for your trip for each of the three different packaged plans. Select a plan that fits your budget and needs, then click the “Buy Now” button to proceed to the mobile-friendly TripTime® application. The information you have already entered will automatically populate the same fields on the application. All insurance documents will be sent to the email address you entered, and are also available online at PCYOU
Build Your Own Plan
Select from a multitude of coverage options, deductibles, and maximum limits to craft the perfect plan for your next trip.
- Medical Benefits are included in every TripTime Insurance plan, including coverage for Inpatient and Outpatient services, labs, x-rays, prescription drugs and more.
- Adventure Sports benefits include Medical and Transportation benefits while participating in Adventure Sports named in the Certificate. For a complete list of sports covered by our Adventure Sports option, click here. .
- Personal Equipment and Pet coverage. Coverage for certain lost, checked or stolen equipment and pet care emergencies.
The following is a partial list of expenses that are not covered under Triptime® insurance. Other conditions and restrictions may apply to your claim. You should review your Certificate for a complete list of exclusions and all terms, conditions, provisions and restrictions.
- War and Terrorism
- Resulting directly or indirectly, proximately or remotely occasioned by, contributed to or by, traceable to or arising in connection with the following:
- The Insured Person’s active and voluntary planning or coordination of or participation in any Act of Terrorism .
- Any Act of Terrorism that takes place in a location, post, area, territory or country for which a Travel Warning or Emergency Travel Advisory was issued or in effect within the six (6) months prior to the Insured Person date of arrival in said location, post, area, territory or country.
- Any Act of Terrorism that takes place in a location, post, area, territory or country for which a Travel Warning or Emergency Travel Advisory becomes effective or is in effect on or after the Insured Person’s date of arrival in said location, post, area, territory or country, and the Insured Person fails or refuses to heed such warning and thereafter remains in said location, post, area, territory or country.
- Resulting directly or indirectly, proximately or remotely occasioned by, contributed to by, traceable to or arising in connection with the following:
- War, invasion, act of foreign enemy hostilities, warlike operations (whether war be declared or not), or civil war.
- Mutiny, riot, strike, military or popular uprising, insurrection, rebellion, revolution, military or usurped power.
- Any act of any person acting on behalf of or in connection with any organization with activities directed towards the overthrow by force of the Government de jure or de facto or to the influencing of it by violence of any nature.
- Martial law or state of siege or any events or causes which determine the proclamation or maintenance of martial law or state of siege.
- Any use of radiological, chemical, nuclear or biological weapons or any other radiological, chemical, nuclear or biological events of any type (including in connection with an Act of Terrorism ).
- War, whether declared or not, between any of the following countries: China, France, the United Kingdom, the Russian Federation and the United States .
- War in Europe, whether declared or not, in which any of the countries stated in (f) above or any armed forces thereof are engaged.
- Arising during the existence of abnormal conditions (whether physical or otherwise), whether or not directly or indirectly, proximately or remotely occasioned by, or contributed to by , traceable to or arising in connections with any of the occurrences set forth in this provision, shall be deemed and considered to be consequences for which Underwriters shall not be liable under this insurance, except to the extent that the Insured Person shall prove that such claim happened independently of the existence of such abnormal conditions and/or occurrences.
- Resulting directly or indirectly, proximately or remotely occasioned by, contributed to or by, traceable to or arising in connection with the following:
- Pre-existing Condition
- Resulting from or relating, directly or indirectly, to any Pre-existing Condition , except as expressly provided for in the Acute Onset of Pre-existing Condition provision of this insurance.
- Resulting from the Acute Onset of Pre-existing Condition which begins while the Insured Person is physically located in the US .
- General Exclusions
- Not presented to the Plan Administrator within sixty (60) days of the date the claim is incurred.
- If Proof of Claim is not provided to the Plan Administrator within one hundred eighty (180) days of the date the claim is incurred.
- Claims of any nature that would expose the Underwriter and/or the to any sanction, prohibition or restriction under United Nations resolutions or the trade or economic sanctions, laws or regulations of the European Union, United Kingdom or United States .
- Incurred more than thirty (30) days following the date of onset of Illness or date of Injury , unless covered services are incurred for treatment of the Illness or Injury within thirty (30) days following the date of onset of Illness or date of Injury .
- Incurred prior to the <Certificate Effective Date or after the Certificate Termination Date, unless expressly provided for under the provisions of this insurance.
- For treatment of any Illness or Injury when the purpose of traveling to the Host Country was to obtain treatment.
- For any services performed orsupplies provided by a Relative of the Insured Person or any person who ordinarily resides with the Insured Person.
- For services or supplies provided at no cost to the Insured Person and/or for which the Insured Person is not otherwise liable.
- Charges for expenses for which advance approval from Underwriters was not obtained by the Insured Person in accordance with the provisions of this insurance.
- For services not arranged by the Plan Administrator when required by the provisions of this insurance.
- Injury and/or Illness sustained while under the influence of, or due wholly or partly to the effects of alcohol, liquor, intoxicating substance, narcotics or drugs, other than drugs prescribed by a Physician and taken in accordance with the Physician’s instructions, but not including drugs prescribed for the treatment of Substance Abuse .
- For treatment of an Illness or Injury for which payment is made or available through a workers’ compensation law or similar law.
- Charges which exceed the Usual, Reasonable and Customary charge for the service or supply provided.
- For exposure to any non-medical nuclear or atomic radiation and/or radioactive material(s).
- Diagnosis-oriented Exclusions
- Related in any way to birth defects, hereditary conditions and Congenital Disorder(s) , including any conditions arising out of or resulting therefrom.
- For any service, supply, drug, treatment or procedure, that either diagnoses, promotes or prevents conception, insemination or birth, including without limitation, artificial insemination, contraceptives, treatment for infertility or impotency, vasectomy or reversal of vasectomy, sterilization or reversal of sterilization, surrogacy or abortion.
- For any service, supply, drug, treatment or procedure that either diagnoses, promotes, enhances or corrects or attempts to diagnose, promote, enhance or correct impotency or sexual dysfunction.
- Resulting from or relating, directly or indirectly, to pregnancy, including without limitation, pre-natal care, delivery, post-natal care, care of Newborns , complications of pregnancy, miscarriage, complications of delivery and/or complications related to Newborns .
- Resulting from or relating, directly or indirectly, to all forms of cancer/ neoplasm, including without limitation, diagnostic tests and procedures, chemotherapy, radiation treatment and any Surgical Procedure.
- For diagnosis and/or treatment of acne, rosacea, eczema, psoriasis, fungal infection, moles, warts, skin tags, diseases of sebaceous glands, seborrhea, and hypertrophic and atrophic conditions of skin.
- For non-surgical care, diagnosis and/or treatment or supplies for the feet, including without limitation, orthopedic shoes, orthopedic prescription devices to be attached to or placed in shoes, treatment of weak, strained, flat, unstable or unbalanced feet, metatarsalgia, bone spurs, hammer toes or bunions, corns, calluses or toenails, except as otherwise expressly set forth in this insurance.
- For diagnosis and/or treatment of Mental Health Disorders .
- For Accidental Death and/or Accidental Dismemberment resulting from or relating, directly or indirectly, or where there is a contribution from any of the following: (a) bodily or mental infirmity, Illness or disease; or (b) infection, other than infection occurring simultaneously with and as a direct result of the Accidental Injury .
- For weight modification or any Inpatient, Outpatient , Surgical Procedure or other treatment of obesity (including without limitation, morbid obesity), including without limitation, diagnostic tests and procedures, wiring of the teeth, all forms or procedures of bariatric Surgery , by whatever name called, or reversal thereof, including without limitation, intestinal bypass, gastric bypass, gastric banding, vertical banded gastroplasty, biliopancreatic diversion, duodenal switch or stomach reduction or stapling.
- For modifications of the physical body in order to change or improve or attempt to change or improve the psychological, mental or emotional well-being of the Insured Person, including without limitation, sex-change Surgery and Surgery relating to sexual performance or enhancement thereof.
- For eyeglasses, contact lenses, hearing aids or hearing implants and for any diagnostic test or procedure, treatment, service or supply, or examination or fitting related to these devices or for eye refraction for any reason.
- For orthoptics, visual eye training and eye Surgery , such as radial keratotomy, when the primary purpose is to correct nearsightedness, farsightedness or astigmatism.
- For diagnosis and/or treatment of the temporomandibular joint, including without limitation, TMJ syndrome, craniomandibular syndrome, chronic TMJ pain, orthognathic Surgery , Le-Fort Surgery or splint.
- For diagnosis and/or treatment of venereal disease, including all Sexually Transmitted Diseases and conditions.
- For Routine Physical Exam and treatment, including without limitation, vaccinations, immunizations, annual check-ups, the issue of medical certificates and attestations, and examinations as to suitability for employment or travel.
- For diagnosis and/or treatment of Substance Abuse or addiction or conditions that may be attributed to Substance Abuse or addiction and direct consequences thereof.
- For diagnosis and/or treatment of the following: HIV seropositivity to the AIDS virus, AIDS related Illness, ARC Syndrome and/or AIDS.
- For diagnostic tests and/or procedures, treatment, services or supplies that are not Medically Necessary , whether or not administered by or under the supervision of a Physician , and products that can be purchased without a Physician’s prescription.
- For Surgeries, treatments, services or supplies for cosmetic or aesthetic reasons, except for reconstructive Surgery when such Surgery is Medically Necessary and directly related to and/or follows Surgery which was covered hereunder.
- For diagnosis and/or treatment of any sleep disorder, including without limitation, sleep apnea and insomnia.
- For diagnosis and/or treatment of any infection of the urinary tract, including without limitation, infection of the kidney, ureter, bladder, prostate or urethra, and any complication, medical condition or other Illness resulting from or relating, directly or indirectly thereto, that occurs within ninety (90) days of the Certificate Effective Date and that requires treatment of the Insured Person in a Hospital as an Inpatient.
- Provider-oriented Exclusions
- For cryogenic preservation and implantation or re-implantation of living cells.
- For or in relation to organ or tissue or other transplants and/or related services and supplies.
- For any efforts to keep a donor alive for a transplant procedure.
- For services provided by a chiropractor. investigational
- For telephone consultations or failure to keep a scheduled appointment. Telemedicine consultations through an established Telemedicine protocol system will be considered individually based on Medical Necessity
- For Surgeries , treatments, services or supplies that are Investigational, Experimental, or for Research Purposes .
- Incurred while confined primarily to receive Custodial Care.
- For Educational or Rehabilitative Care that specifically relates to training or retraining an Insured Person to function in a normal or near-normal manner. Such care may include, but is not limited to, job or vocational training, counseling, occupational therapy and speech therapy.
- For speech, vocational, occupational, biofeedback, acupuncture, recreational, sleep or music therapy, holistic care of any nature, massage and kinesitherapy.
- For services, supplies, or treatment for hair loss, including without limitation, wigs, hair transplants or any drug that promises to promote hair growth, whether or not prescribed by a Physician .
- For exercise and/or fitness programs or equipment, whether or not prescribed or recommended by a Physician .
- For Hospice care.
- For or related to genetic medicine, genetic testing, surveillance testing and/or wellness screening procedures for genetically predisposed conditions indicated by genetic medicine or genetic testing, including but not limited to amniocentesis, genetic screening, risk assessment, preventative and prophylactic Surgeries recommended by genetic testing and/or any procedures used to determine genetic pre-disposition, provide genetic counseling, or administration of gene therapy.
- For testing that attempts to measure aspects of an Insured Person mental ability, intelligence, aptitude, personality and stress management. Such testing may include, but is not limited to, psychometric, behavioral and educational testing.
- For any artificial or mechanical devices designed to replace human organs temporarily or permanently after termination of Inpatient status.
- For nonprescription drugs, medicines, vitamins, food extracts, or nutritional supplements; IV vitamin or herbal therapy, drugs or medicines not approved by the United States Food and Drug Administration or which are considered “off-label” drug use, and for drugs or medicines not prescribed by a Physician .
- Geographic Exclusions
- Sustained and/or incurred in a location, post, area, territory or country for which a Travel Warning or Emergency Travel Advisory was issued or in effect within the six (6) months prior to the Insured Person arrival in said location, post, area, territory or country.
- Sustained and/or incurred in a location, post, area, territory or country for which a Travel Warning or Emergency Travel Advisory becomes effective or is in effect on or after the Insured Person arrival to said location, post, area, territory or country, and the Insured Person fails or refuses to heed such warning and thereafter remains in said location, post, area, territory or country.
- Resulting from or relating, directly or indirectly, to epidemics, pandemics, public health emergencies, Natural Disaster or other disease outbreak conditions that may affect a person’s health when, prior to the
Insured Person arrival
to the affected location, any of the following were issued regarding said location:
- The World Health Organization had issued an Emergency Travel Advisory
- The United States Centers for Disease Control and Prevention had issued a Warning Level 3 (avoid nonessential travel).
- A similar governmental agency of the Insured Person Home Country had published, communicated or issued a Travel Warning or Emergency Travel Advisory restriction or official declaration informing the public about such health issues before the Insured Person’s arrival to the affected location.
- Incurred in the Insured Person’s Home Country , except Eligible Medical Expenses incurred during a Benefit Period or Incidental Trip Home for Insured Person whose Home Country is the US .
- Activity Oriented Exclusions
- Resulting from or occurring during the commission of a violation of law by the Insured Person, including without limitation, the engaging in an illegal occupation or act, but excluding minor traffic violations.
- Resulting or relating, directly or indirectly, from willfully self-inflicted Injury or Illness and/or suicide or attempted suicide whether sane or insane.
- Resulting or relating, directly or indirectly, from an Insured Person entering into or alighting from, operating orriding as a passenger in any motorized vehicle that does not require licensing as a motor vehicle.
- Resulting or relating, directly or indirectly, from an Insured Person’s operation of a any motorized vehicle without possession of a valid motor vehicle operator’s license, except while participating in a drivers’ education program.
- Resulting or relating, directly or indirectly, from an Insured Person entering into or alighting from, operating or riding as a passenger, or being struck by any 2 or 3-wheeled motorized vehicle, or any motorized vehicle not designed primarily for use on public streets and highways. (Limited coverage in respect to motorcycle riding as an operator or passenger is available under the Adventure Sports Coverage option if purchased by the Insured Person.)
- Resulting or relating, directly or indirectly, from an Insured Person’s operation of any vehicle, whether or not motorized, after consumption of intoxicating liquor or drugs in excess of the applicable blood/alcohol limit, other than drugs taken in accordance with a prescription and as directed by a Physician . For purposes of this Exclusion, “vehicle” shall include without limitation, motorized devices regardless of whether or not a driver or operator license is required (including watercraft and aircraft) and non-motorized bicycles and scooters for which no permit or license is required.
- For travel, meals, transportation and/or accommodations except as expressly provided herein.
- Resulting or relating, directly or indirectly, from the Insured Person’s participation in Contact Sports .
- Resulting or relating, directly or indirectly, from the Insured Person’s participation in Amateur Athletics.
- Resulting or relating, directly or indirectly, from the Insured Person’s participation in Professional Athletics .
- Resulting or relating, directly or indirectly, from the Insured Person’s participation in Extreme Sports .
- Resulting or relating, directly or indirectly, from the Insured Person’s participation in Adventure Sports , unless the Insured Person has purchased the Adventure Sports Coverage option.
- Resulting or relating, directly or indirectly, from the Insured Person’s participation in any sports or athletic or recreational activity undertaken against the advice or direction of any local authority or any qualified instructor or contrary to the rules, recommendations and procedures of a recognized governing body for the activity.
- Resulting or relating, directly or indirectly, from the Insured Person participation in any activity undertaken in disregard or against the recommendations of a Physician or other healthcare professional.
- Dental Exclusions
- For Dental Treatment , except as expressly provided for herein
- Resulting or relating, directly or indirectly, from wear and tear of teeth due to cavities and/or chewing or biting down on hard objects such as, but not limited to, pencils, ice cubes, nuts, popcorn and hard candies.
- For treatment of a Dental Treatment Injury without associated face, skull, neck and/or jaw Injury or that can be evaluated and treated in a Dental office.
- For Dental Treatment relating, directly or indirectly, to oral care and maintenance, including without limitation, tooth repair by fillings, root canals, tooth removal and x-rays.