(The following information includes a summary of certain provisions of StudentTime® Insurance. You should always review your Certificate for a complete description of all terms and conditions. A sample Certificate can be accessed here.)
International study and living abroad opens a new world of opportunities to learn about other cultures, languages, places and people. Global scholarship expands your sense of community and your place in it. International academic experience and second language ability rank among the top accomplishments that employers value when selecting new candidates for hire.
Your international departure is just around the corner. Now it’s time to consider the risks you will face during your journey and select an insurance plan that will be there when you need it. It’s simple and affordable - let StudentTime® protect you as you pursue your international dreams.
Service the PCU® Way
Point Comfort Underwriters® (PCU) is pleased to provide state of the art services to all StudentTime travelers. With over 100 years of combined experience, our dedicated staff located in the international insurance center of Indianapolis, Indiana, is ready to serve you any time, day or night.
We also understand that you may prefer the convenience of self-service. That’s why we empower all StudentTime customers through a personal travel insurance portal located at PCYOU, where most routine service needs can be met.
While we hope your trip is safe and productive, we know that bad things can happen to good people. PCU’s emergency assistance personnel are among the most experienced in the international insurance industry at coordinating emergency medical services and international treatment. We process claims from all over the world, in any language or currency.
Student Eligibility Requirements
If you are a full-time student or scholar (graduate student, teacher, professor or researcher) between the ages of 15 and 65, you are eligible for StudentTime.
Dependents Eligibility Requirements
Your Dependent Spouse, between the ages of 18 and 65, and your unmarriedDependent Child(ren) who are under age 18, are eligible for StudentTime.
Application and Purchase
Application and purchase of StudentTime insurance is easy. Just enter your travel dates and the ages of all students and Dependents to be covered to obtain an instant quote. Your premiums for three optional plans will be displayed. Select the plan that works for you. If you plan to participate in school sports during your stay abroad, be sure to select Add School Sports Rider. If you intend to participate in other adventure sports during your stay, you should select add Adventure Sports Rider. When you are ready, just click the Buy StudentTime button to be taken to the StudentTime Application where you enter your personal data and payment information. PCU accepts PayPal, MasterCard, Visa or American Express. Once you have completed your transaction, you will be directed to your PCYOU portal, where you can access and download your Certificate, Identification Card, Receipt and other important documents.
Effective Date and Termination Date
The Effective Date of coverage for your trip is the later of: a) the date you request, or b) the date you depart your Home Country. The Termination Date of coverage for your trip is the earlier of: a) the date you request, b) the date you return to your Home Country, or c) midnight on the last day of fully paid premium. All coverage days must be used consecutively. If you cancel your StudentTime insurance after the Effective Date of coverage and have filed no claims, premiums attributable to the unused days will be refunded to you, after deduction of an administration fee of $50. If you have filed claims, no refund will be made.
Incidental Trip Home
If an Insured Personis Hospitalized as an Inpatient on the date and time insurance hereunder would otherwise terminate, Medical coverage remains in effect until the earlier of: 1) the date the Insured Personis released from the Hospital; or 2) 60 days beginning on the date insurance hereunder would have terminated.
School Sports (optional)
If you plan to participate in Intercollegiate, Intramural or Club sports during your trip, you should purchase the School Sports option. This option provides Medical Benefits of up to $5,000 in the event you are injured while participating in School Sports. Without this option, you will have no coverage while participating in School Sports. The School Sports option provides coverage for students only; no coverage is provided for your Dependent Spouse or Dependent Child(ren).
Adventure Sports (optional)
Adventure pursuits often go hand in hand with academic travel. If you plan to participate in adventure activities, you should purchase the Adventure Sports option. This option provides Medical and Transportation Benefits for students and their Dependents Spouses and Dependent Child(ren) who are age 15 or older. Limits of up to $50,000 are provided, based on age. Some sports, including School Sports, motorcycle riding and Contact Sports, are not covered. Other adventure pursuits may be excluded. You should review the list of Covered Adventure Sports to be sure your activities are covered.
Large Group Coverage
If your group includes 25 or more students, contact PCU for a customized proposal.
StudentTime Insurance – Popular Plans
PCU knows that buying student travel insurance can be confusing, which is why we have created three StudentTime® packaged plans. We have combined our most popular Benefits and limits to give you simplicity in choice. A comparison of the three plans can be found below.
- Overall Exclusions
- Charges or Benefits of any nature, resulting from or occurring during the commission of a violation of law by the Insured Person, including without limitation, the engaging in an illegal occupation or act, but excluding minor traffic violations.
- Charges or Benefits of any nature incurred in the Insured Person Home Country except charges incurred during a covered Incidental Trip Home .
- Charges or Benefits of any nature resulting directly or indirectly from the use of any biological, chemical, non-medical radioactive or non-medical nuclear agent, material, device or weapon.
- Charges or Benefits of any nature resulting from or occurring during the Insured Person direct or indirect involvement in any war, Act of Terrorism, strike, riot or civil commotion or while the Insured Person is a member of any military or para-military.
- Notwithstanding number 4. above, charges or Benefits
of any nature, resulting from the following are excluded:
- war, whether declared or not, between any of the following countries: China, France, the United Kingdom, the Russian Federation and the United States of America; or
- war in Europe, whether declared or not, other than: civil war or any enforcement action by or on behalf of the United Nations, in which any of the countries stated in (1.) above or any armed forces thereof are engaged.
- Charges or Benefits of any nature sustained when the Insured Person has entered and/or unreasonably failed or refused to depart a country within 48 hours of the time an evacuation order has been issued by the Insured Person Home Country.
- Charges or Benefits of any nature which are not presented to Underwriters for payment within 60 days of the date the charge is incurred.
- Charges or Benefits of any nature resulting from self-inflicted Injury or Illnessand/or suicide or attempted suicide whether sane or insane.
- No Underwriter shall be deemed to provide cover and no Underwriter shall be liable to pay any claim or provide any Benefits hereunder to the extent that the provision of such cover, payment of such claim or provision of such Benefits would expose that Underwriter to any sanction, prohibition or restriction under United Nations resolutions or the trade or economic sanctions, laws or regulations of the European Union, United Kingdom or United Statesof America.
- Benefits for services incurred more than 30 days following the date of onset of Illnessor date of Injury unless charges are incurred for treatment of the Illnessor Injury are incurred within 30 days following the date of onset of Illnessor date of Injury.
- Charges for travel or accommodation, except Local Ambulance as provided for in Medical and as provided in Transportation.
- Charges and Benefits of any nature resulting from operating or riding as a passenger in any on-road or off-road motorized vehicle that does not require licensing as a motor vehicle.
- Charges and Benefits of any nature resulting from an Insured Person operation of a motor vehicle without possession of a valid motor vehicle operator’s license, except while participating in drivers education program.
- Charges and Benefits of any nature resulting from riding in or on, entering into or alighting from, or being struck by a 2 or 3-wheeled motor vehicle, or any motor vehicle not designed primarily for use on public streets and highways.
- Charges and Benefits of any nature sustained while under the influence of or due wholly or partly to the effects of intoxicating liquor or voluntary use of any drug, narcotic or controlled substance, unless prescribed by a Physician .
- Charges and Benefits of any nature resulting from or sustained after entering the Host Country as a result of epidemics, pandemics, public health emergencies, Natural Disasters , or other disease outbreak conditions that may affect a person’s health and about which the World Health Organization has issued an Emergency Travel Advisory , US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has issued a Warning Level 3 (avoid nonessential travel), or similar governmental agency of the Insured Person Home Country had published, communicated or issued a Travel Warning restriction or official declaration informing the public about such health issues before the Insured Person traveled to the Host Country.
- Charges and Benefits of any nature that are incurred prior to the Certificate Effective Date or after the Certificate Termination Date of the Certificate.
- Exclusions Applicable to Medical, Transportation, Adventure Sports and School Sports
- Charges resulting directly or indirectly from any Pre-existing Condition , excluding charges resulting directly or indirectly form an Acute Onset of Pre-existing Condition , are excluded from this insurance entirely for Insured Persons with Study Hall. Charges resulting directly or indirectly from any Pre-existing Condition , excluding charges resulting directly or indirectly form an Acute Onset of Pre-existing Condition , are excluded from this insurance entirely for during the first six (6) months of coverage beginning on the Certificate Effective Date for Insured Persons with Extra Credit or Honor Roll.
- Diagnosis or treatment of all forms of cancer / neoplasm.
- All charges related to Pregnancy , including but not limited to pre-natal care, Delivery , and post-natal care, and care of Newborns are excluded for Insured Persons under Study Hall and for Dependents under Study Hall, Extra Credit and Honor Roll. All charges related to Pregnancy , including but not limited to pre-natal care, Delivery , and post-natal care, and care of Newborns are excluded for Insured Persons under Extra Credit and Honor Roll unless conception occurs during the Certificate Period.
- All charges related to care of Newborns are excluded unless the Delivery of theNewborn is covered hereunder.
- Treatment related to birth defects and congenital Illness. Birth defects are deemed to include hereditary conditions.
- Any drug, treatment or procedure that either promotes or prevents conception including but not limited to: artificial insemination, treatment for infertility or impotency, sterilization or reversal of sterilization, except Insured Persons under Extra Credit and Honor Roll who are not Dependent Child(ren) are covered for oral contraceptives subject to the Outpatient Prescription Drug Benefits and limits.
- Any drug, treatment or procedure that either promotes, enhances or corrects impotency or sexual dysfunction.
- Abortions, except to save the life of the mother and Therapeutic Termination of Pregnancy .
- All expenses of any cryogenic preservation and implantation or re-implantation of living cells.
- Organ or tissue transplants or related services.
- Treatment for acne, moles, skin tags, nevus, diseases of sebaceous glands, seborrhea, sebaceous cyst, hypertrophic and atrophic conditions of skin.
- The following care, treatment or supplies for the feet: orthopedic shoes, orthopedic prescription devices to be attached to or placed in shoes, treatment of weak, strained, flat, unstable or unbalanced feet, metatarsalgia or bunions, and treatment of corns, calluses or toenails.
- Charges for Inpatient treatment of Mental Health Disorders is excluded for Insured Persons under Study Hall.
- Charges for treatment of Mental Health Disorders provided by or at a Student Health Center .
- Physical Therapy if provided by or at a Student Health Center .
- Dental Treatment, except for Dental Treatment necessary to restore sound natural teeth lost or damaged in a covered Accident or Dental Treatment necessary to resolve Acute Onset of Dental Pain, for Insured Person under Extra Credit and Honor Roll.
- All Medical, Transportation and AD&D Benefits
are excluded, unless the Insured Person has
purchased and is covered under Adventure Sports or School Sports, with respect to Accident occurring while the Insured Person is
participating in any of the following:
- Contact Sport(s), unless the Insured Person has purchased School Sports and the Contact Sports is covered under School Sports; and
- Intercollegiate, Interscholastic, Intramural, and clubAmateur Athletics unless the Insured Person has purchased School Sports; and
- Professional Athletics ; and
- Any one or combination of the following: Abseiling, BMX, bobsledding, bungee jumping, canyoning, caving, hang gliding, heli-skiing, high diving, hot air ballooning, inline skating (with helmets and pads), jet skiing, zip lining, kayaking, mountain biking, parachuting, paragliding, parascending, piloting a non-commercial aircraft, rappelling, rock climbing or mountaineering (ropes and guides to 4,500 meters), scuba diving (to 50 meters), skydiving, snowboarding, snow mobiling, snow skiing, spelunking, surfing, trekking, whitewater rafting (to Class V), wildlife safaris or windsurfing, unless the Insured Person has purchased Adventure Sports; and
- Any other sport or activity which is undertaken for thrill seeking and exposes the individual to abnormal risk of Injury.
- Non-contact and non-organized/non-sanctioned sports or athletic activities engaged in solely for leisure, recreational, entertainment or fitness purposes are not excluded unless they are excluded by (4) through (5) of this provision.
- Weight modification or Surgical treatment of obesity, including but not limited to wiring of the teeth and all forms of intestinal bypass Surgery .
- Modifications of the physical body intended to improve psychological, mental or emotional well-being, including but not limited to sex-change Surgery .
- Corrective devices and medical appliances, including eyeglasses, contact lenses, hearing aids, hearing implants, dentures or dental appliances and any examination or fitting related to these devices.
- Orthoptics, visual eye training and eye Surgery , such as radial keratotomy, when the primary purpose is to correct nearsightedness, farsightedness or astigmatism.
- Treatment of the temporomandibular joint.
- Diagnosis or treatment of venereal disease, including all Sexually Transmitted Diseases and conditions.
- Routine Physical Exam and treatment, including but not limited to vaccinations, immunizations, annual check-ups, the issue of medical certificates and attestations, and examinations as to the suitability of employment or travel.
- Treatment by a chiropractor.
- Treatment of Insured Person who are HIV, or have AIDS or ARC, and/or any diseases caused by and/or related to HIV as of the Certificate Effective Date .
- Charges for treatment of any condition(s) when the purpose of departing the Home Country was to obtain treatment in the Host Country(ies).
- Treatment, services or supplies that are not Medically Necessary and administered by or under the supervision of a Physician , and products that can be purchased without a Physician prescription.
- Treatment, services or supplies provided at no cost to the Insured Person and any treatment, services or supplies performed or provided by a Relative of the Insured Person or any person who ordinarily resides with the Insured Person.
- Telephone consultations or failure to keep a scheduled appointment.
- Surgeries , treatments, services or supplies that are Investigational, Experimental, or for Research Purposes .
- Charges incurred while confined primarily to receive Custodial Care, Educational or Rehabilitative Care, or any medical treatment in any establishment for the care of the aged.
- Surgeries , treatments, services or supplies for cosmetic or aesthetic reasons, except for reconstructive Surgery when such Surgery is directly related to and follows Surgery which was covered hereunder.
- Speech, vocational, occupational, biofeedback, acupuncture, recreational, sleep or music therapy, holistic care of any nature, massage and kinesitherapy.
- Services, supplies, or treatment for hair loss including wigs, hair transplants or any drug that promises hair growth, whether or not prescribed by a Physician .
- Exercise programs, whether or not prescribed or recommended by a Physician .
- Treatment required as a result of complications or consequences of a treatment or condition not covered hereunder.
- Charges which exceed the Usual, Reasonable and Customary charge for the service or supply provided.
- Charges for treatment of sleep apnea or other sleep disorders.
- Charges for any supply or service that is not Medically Necessary .
- Charges for any Benefits not specified as Eligible Expenses herein.